Author(s): doomy, kori
Showcase Project - Mood Board 1
- Less holograms, lasers, or sleek vehicles
- Think more physical weapons, large & practical vehicles
- Something that feels attainable & real in the space-age future
- Lots of analogous, saturated colors
- Should not be gritty / dark / edgy / etc.
- Painter-like realistic texturing (Similar to the methods used in TF2 and LoL).
- Slightly exaggerated
- Think subdued Sci-Fi fantasy
- Borderlands & Mirrors edge (character designs) are a good example of this semi-realistic style
- Advanced Technology
- Space exploration is common
- Alien life?
- Relaxed Future
- No known "end-of-the-universe" type situation (at least to the majority of people)
- "Wild West" in the sense that laws are difficult to enforce, and communities are more isolated
- Star system
- Battles take place on different continents / moons
- All gameplay is set on land
- no space battles
- Supernatural / Religion
- NGE is a great inspiration and reference for this
- Scientific magic? Exploring supernatural topics under the lens of science
- General absurdism
- What is motivation for finding system that the game setting takes place?
- Some resource there to save/destroy another important place?
- Why combat?
- Fighting over that resource?
- Or, unknown objective. The mystery is sometimes the best part.
Notes on Movement & Characters
- Characters should be shown in some capacity - whether it's audio, illustration, etc.
- Player will always be in a vehicle
- Vehicle controls similarly to the original spacecraft idea - except for on land. It can be something along the lines of a hovercraft
Take these points with a grain of salt, they can easily change/be incorrect. I'm technical, but not that technical.
- A PBR workflow for materials would be beneficial if possible
- Static lighting
- Basic reflections
- Support for 3D animations